Secondary Expectations & Uniform
At the Bobby Moore Academy we strive to ensure that students are able to leave school well prepared for adult life. This includes developing their independence and an understanding of how to dress and act in a professional manner. We have high expectations of students’ appearance, not only because we believe it is right, but because research shows that high expectations result in better academic outcomes.
Pupils are expected to wear school uniform in a professional manner at all times. Uniform should always be purchased from the schools’ provider (Khalsa Schoolwear, 388 Bethnal Green Road, London, E2 0AH).
The following must be worn at all times:
- Bobby Moore Academy blazer
- A long or short sleeved white shirt with top button fastened*
- Grey (not black) trousers/skirt
- Bobby Moore Academy tie
- Plain, dark socks/tights
- Plain, flat, black shoes made from polishable leather, no higher than the ankle. There are some smart varieties of ‘Kickers’ which conform to these requirements. Trainers or boots may not be worn.
In extremely warm weather the Executive Principal may allow pupils to remove their blazers.
- Outdoor coat. This should be black, dark grey or navy and match their school uniform as much as possible. Any logo/branding should be small and discreet.
- Pupils will be expected to remove outdoor clothing as they enter the academy.
- Pupils are expected to wear the Bobby Moore Academy PE Kit.
- Pupils are responsible for washing and looking after their own PE kit.
- Good quality sports shoes are expected for PE lessons. No converse, plimsolls or other variations. The colour is not relevant.
*Parents/carers may wish to resew the top button with a longer thread if it is tight.
Hair should be worn as appropriate for a serious and professional workplace. This means that it should be:
- Smart, clean, of natural colour and not contain any beads or coloured decoration
- A simple black hair band may be worn
- Hairstyles which include shaved lines (or eyebrow ‘cuts’) or where heads are partially shaved, are unacceptable as is any excessively flamboyant style
- Hair beneath the collar should be able to be tied back for safety reasons.
No visible makeup should be worn and no nail varnish or false nails, which should be neatly trimmed for hygiene and safety reasons. Students will be required to remove any makeup, nail varnish or false nails as appropriate.
The only jewellery which may be worn is a watch and/or one single, discreet, plain, gold/silver (no diamond or coloured stones) stud per ear.
The academy will provide backpacks at the beginning of every academic year, which pupils will be expected to use at all times. Replacements can be purchased via Parent Pay. Pupils will be expected to pick up their bag from reception. For identification purposes bags may be discreetly personalised with a name tag/key ring/ribbon.
Pupils will be expected to bring each item of equipment on the list below every day. We will be strict about this as it is important that pupils take responsibility for their learning by being properly equipped every day.
- Pencil case
- Two pens with blue or black ink OR one fountain pen with spare ink
- One green pen
- Two pencils
- Black dry wipe pen
- Pencil sharpener
- 30 cm ruler
- Glue stick
- Pair of compasses
- Scientific calculator e.g. Casio FX83GT Plus
- Reading book (see suggested reading list)
- School planner (provided by the Academy)
- School bag
The academy operates a ‘See it? Hear it? Lose it’ policy for mobile phones. If pupils have mobile phones with them, they will be expected to turn them off and keep them in their bags throughout the entire day. This includes break and lunch times.
The school will not be liable in any way for damage or theft.